Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More about Brent

First, let me talk a little about myself. I'm a software engineer living with my wife in a condo in Arlington, Virginia, USA, which is a pretty environmentally friendly county (at least compared to the other counties in the area) and lead a pretty normal life. I started really paying attention to the environment probably about 3 years ago, when I came to the realization that we as people really need to change our ways our we'll be totally screwed. Nothing in particular made me come to that realization, just reading article after article about how the icecaps are melting, that the measurements for amount of ice loss right now is much higher than most scientists worst case scenarios from even just 10-15 years ago, and that things will get really really bad for most people around the world. I don't consider myself an environmental activist, and I really don't spend much effort on "saving the environment". I don't compost, I drive a regular non hybrid car to work by myself, and I don't buy carbon offsets. But I do try to consider the environment for things in my life (whether or not to throw a box out versus break it down to recycle it, where to move to, etc.), and I think it's easy to lead a "greener" life.

We will all have to start leading greener lives, or we're going to screw the world up much worse than we already have.

No comments: