Thursday, January 17, 2008

Why I'm Starting This Blog

When I came home from work one day, there was a huge phone book sitting outside my door. Each condo door up the entire hall had one. I have no use whatsoever for a phone book, that's what the Internet is for. I never asked to get a phone book, never signed up to get one, yet here is this hulking 2,000 page monstrosity sitting outside my door. So what am I supposed to do with this stupid thing? And if I actually found a phone book useful, what am I supposed to with last year's? Nothing on the cover, back, or first few pages says anything about recycling phone books. The condo building that I'm in has recycling, but the only paper that they accept is newspapers, so I assume if I threw the phone book in there it would get thrown in the trash at some later point. And, I don't see anything on the phone book about how to request to not get another phone book next year.

If I was like most Americans, I'd just throw it in the trash. But I usually try to think about the environment, so I'll look up on the Internet how to recycle phone books in this area. To hopefully make researching things like this a little easier for everyone else, I decided to start posting things that I find out about the environment and how to help, like what to do with phone books that you don't want.

A blog entry will be coming about what to actually do with phone books. The phone book is just sitting on my floor now, I'm a little lazy and it will probably sit there for several days before I decide to look up what to do with it and post that here.

No comments: